Best WIFI Thermostat Reviews 2015
In this review we will focus of the types of thermostats available on the market. We will present the most popular models of thermostats and highlight their benefits and disadvantages as well as will point out a range of options which the best wifi thermostat should meet. Finally, we will choose the optimum thermostat for your house.
Top 6 rated wifi thermostats:
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
Nest T200577 2nd Generation Learning Thermostat
Sensi Wi-Fi Smart Programmable Thermostat UP500W
Ecobee3 Wi-Fi Thermostat with Remote Sensor
Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day Programmable Thermostat
Honeywell Lyric Wi-Fi Programmable Thermostat RCH9300WF
Thermostat — a key to essential savings on heating and cooling!
Thermostat is a key control element of the climate of your house. In the present context keeping a house is a rater costly affair. A bigger part of house keeping expenses runs into heating and cooling of houses and apartments. People all over the world invest millions of dollars into systems allowing to sufficiently cut expenses on setting a proper climate profile in their houses. Modern technologies provide complete automation of houses which enable a house keeper to conveniently control heating and cooling systems of the house being at home or not. Moreover advanced systems of automation help to sufficiently save energy as intelligent thermostats can not only run a preset program. The appliances analyze preferred lifestyle and learn how to correct the temperature in the house for your ultimate comfort.
The key benefits of integration of a thermostat into your house are evident:
- cost savings;
- energy efficiency;
- convenience of control and setting.
Types of thermostats
There are several types of thermostats available on the market today. In this review we will highlight not only the most expensive wifi thermostats, but some budget solutions which will be of the same high quality however will be limited in available options and in convenience of setting.
Wireless WiFi Thermostats introduction
Wireless wifi thermostats are the last generation of in-house climate control appliances providing you a stunning set of options and opportunities. Now you can feel a complete control of the climate in your house on the tip of your fingers. Wireless wifi thermostats are connected to a wifi network and thus get reachable from any of the gadgets you like. You can use your phone, tablet, PC or laptop to control and change the climate in your house.
Wireless thermostats give more options to users:
- Remote access – whether you are in the house or not, you will be able to check the current temperature, to change the settings of the thermostat and to get a comfortable temperature in every room right before you coming back home.
- Improved accuracy of data - wireless wifi thermostats are known to be better communicating with other HVAC systems of your house. Moreover advanced sensor system copes with temperature fluctuations from one room to another all over your house.
- Showing additional information – with the latest wifi thermostats you will be able not only to learn the temperature in the room where the unit is located, the last models of wifi thermostats give the data on outdoor temperature, HVAC system performance and malfunctioning.
- Temperature alerts – smart wifi thermostats notify the users on the reach of preset maximum or minimum. The unit will also notify a housekeeper on the rapid rises and falls of the temperatures which can mean a broken window or a fire in the house thus enabling a house keeper to take appropriate measures on time.
Nest T200577 2nd Generation Learning Thermostat
Whether you are looking for your first thermostat or for a climate control unit to replace your old one, this model by Nest will be a great solution for you. This smart thermostat is considered to be one of the best wifi thermostats available on the market featuring the optimum balance of available options, ease of installation and control, its efficiency and performance and its price.
The greatest advantage of this thermostat gets clear from its name. The gadget learns itself analyzing the preferable temperature range and setting the most comfortable climate for you. The thermostat easily integrates with all other heating or cooling appliances in the house and senses their air flow temperatures to adjust your heating or cooling system. You will need only several days of tight communication with thermostat to train it and then it will set a desired climate in your house. The gadget looks very simple and modern providing a user a convenient display for setting. This model has got 20% thiner than its predecessor and is compatible with low voltage systems. Today over 95% of households give preference to tis thermostat model.
Features of the Nest T200577 2nd Generation Learning Thermostat
- Nest Setup – this is the first option you will cope with. Entering a brand site and starting a new account you will get a chance to control your thermostat from any other gadget.
- Auto-away – essential energy saving option turning the smart thermostat down when you are away or out of the house.
- Auto-schedule – an option that changes the temperatures in the rooms to a desired level on a preset schedule enabling you to relish the most comfortable climate in the house at certain parts of days, nights and even weeks.
- Auto-tune – an additional option enabling you to save up to 5-10% of energy additionally by pinching the temperatures during rush hours (for example, people switch on their cooling systems to the maximums during hot afternoons).
- Remote control – a vital option enabling you to change the operation of cooling or heating systems in your house while being away from the households.
The benefits of the Nest Thermostat
Among all other models of smart thermostats available on the market the Nest T200577 is one of the most popular appliances due to the evident benefits:
- It offers intuitive control – the thermostat notifies a user when an optimum regime is reached and you really save energy (showing leaf indicator on the screen). Due to humidity sensitive elements the unit reduces AC when the humidity in the house is not very high, but keeping the cooling system running optimally for keeping the house cool.
- Reporting – the Nest thermostat system provides 10 days reports for users to clearly see ow much of heating and cooling they used for the last 10 days and why. Energy consumption history helps people to better manage the systems of cooling and heating to reduce energy expenses.
- Simple installation – the Nest offers one of the simplest installations of the thermostat knowing that installation and integration of the unit is the key sticking point of getting a new unit. The installation is reduced to setting a base plate, link it to the compatible wires and plug the thermostat itself in the plate.
Key disadvantages of the thermostat
As experience of many users show, the main problem most households facing is the teaching a new thermostat to regulate temperature in the room properly. The Nest thermostat senses the movements in the room and keeps cooling or heating systems running. If you stop moving in the room, the thermostat thinks you are away and switches down the systems. That is why, right before installation and teaching, read the user manual to correctly tune the options.
Nest T200577 2nd Generation Learning Thermostat is a smart thermostat which really needs your assistance within first weeks of usage to learn the device to set right temperatures for you. In all other aspects the gadget is superior.
The cheapest and greatest Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day
If you are looking for a simple and cost effective but yet very efficient solution to control heating and cooling systems in your house then Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day is probably the best choice for you. It is a simple preset gadget which will eagerly control the climate within your house, reduce expenses on energy with remote accessibility through wifi for even smarter control.
This is a traditional advanced wifi thermostat model which is controlled remotely from any gadget connectible to internet. The manufacturer provides a simple app for any PC or mobile platform (iOS, Android) to control the thermostat remotely. On brand app installation a user gets an option of control of multiple thermostats in different locations from one account. This cheap but smart thermostat will send a user notifications about the temperatures extremes (when the temperature in the room or house reaches the lowest or highest preset norm). The notifications are sent via mobile phones, emails or online interface of account. The smart thermostat allows to remotely control the fans. The system of temperature sensors sends the most precise data on the current temperature range in the house. Traditional away option reduces heating or cooling of the room when the family is out.
Features of the Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day
When choosing one of the best wifi thermostats not only the price does matter. Many people focus on the range of options provided by the gadget. In some cases less options do not mean worse performance as chances are that most of the advanced options provided in the most expensive thermostat models will never be used by you. The Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day offers the basic set of options which will surely be of the greatest use for you:
- 7 programmable days with 4 daily periods – you can preset your thermostat to regulate the temperature in your house for a complete week. If you desire to relax in cool atmosphere on the Friday evening then you will be able to set a certain range of temperatures for that day and that part of the day. Be sure, that this cheap and smart thermostat will cool your house properly for an enjoyable Friday evening.
- The gadget is compatible as with single stage so with multi stage systems.
- Wifi control enables you to correct the preset temperature range whenever you want and wherever you are.
- Easy to read,well lit display – unlike many other advanced thermostats the Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day offers a simple, intuitive and well lit display providing easy data reading under any conditions of lighting.
On disadvantages of Honeywell RTH6580WF Wi-Fi 7-Day
The weakest point of this thermostat is unstable wifi connection which leads to fails of remote controlling of the gadget. To renew the connection a wifi router should be restarted which is practically impossible when you are out of reach of the house.
In all other aspects apart of stability of wifi connection the wifi thermostat provides stable performance ad thus you can be sure that while you are out the thermostat will passionately run the preset programs. Considering the price of the gadget it is the optimum solution for any house.
Sensor Thermostats — Key principles of operation
Sensor thermostats are the units incorporating a system of sensors to measure the in-house and outdoor temperature, humidity more precisely. Exact data on the difference of in-house and outdoor temperatures lets a thermostat to faster respond and switch the heating or cooling appliances in the house on or off to provide its inhabitants a really comfortable climate to live in. Most of the sensor thermostats are rather expensive solutions however we will present you the in-house climate control units in wide price range indicating their strong and weak points for you to have more information when choosing one of the best wifi thermostats.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat – intelligent climate maker in your households
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is one of the most advanced thermostats by the brand which provides the simplest remote setting and control and features a sensor display for easier and more intuitive manual control of the device. The sensor panel enables a user to create a unique look of the display by choosing a color scheme and the style of the icons on the display. The smart thermostat will timely notify you about temperature extremes reached in the house or will send you a reminding notification to change the filters. To connect and reach the thermostat you can use any gadget connectible to internet. The brand app is completely free and does not require monthly fees.
The app is compatible with all mobile and PC operation systems: iOS, Android, Windows and Linux. The thermostat is completely programmable. Moreover the smart unit analyzes the settings and correlates them with time of day and night as well as with the days of the week memorizing the settings and then running the programs automatically without any control needed.
Features of the Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is one of the leading climate control appliances on the market due to its evident benefits.
- The Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat features smart and flexible programming of the schedule for office or home climate control. It allows to flexibly set the preferred temperature range for different parts of the day and different days of the week. For example, the thermostat will keep a preferred temperature range in the office during business hours and will reduce the running of heating, cooling and air-conditioning appliances during non-business hours.
- Bright color display ensures easy data reading.
- Its highly responsive sensor panel makes the temperature setting and scheduling real joy.
- Extreme indoor humidity sensor strictly controls the air fans in the house.
- This model of Honeywell thermostat features stable wifi connection enabling easy control of the thermostat when you are our.
- Locking touchscreen ensures complete security and stability of system operation. You can be sure that password securely protects the unit from unwanted interference.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat has some disadvantages
According user reviews and feedbacks the Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat lacks some features which would be of great use in energy efficiency management. The thermostat does not provide you any reports on the heating or cooling systems usage, no recommendations. Moreover some users point out the loss of wifi connection, that is why the thermostat often appears unavailable remotely.
Honeywell Wi-Fi Smart Thermostat is a rather good option for those users who want to get an advanced climate control system in the house. The thermostat performs well in case of setting it once and running the preset programming. It fails to catch up with remote control due to losses of wifi connection. Intuitive display, well read data and smart settings make the thermostat the optimum choice for those who value flexibility, comfort and simplicity the most.
Honeywell RTH8500D 7-Day Touchscreen – the best companion for your households
Honeywell RTH8500D 7-Day Touchscreen is a programmable thermostat equipped with a well lit, easy to read sensor display. The thermostat provides intuitive programming options and operates well in all types of rooms. It is a perfect option as for offices so for houses. The unit will be of great help for people who have traditional heating and cooling systems installed in their houses. The thermostat provides ultimate but easy setting and flexibility for people living in a very busy lifestyle. It intuitively understands your needs by analyzing the preferred temperature ranges and sets the most comfortable temperature ranges automatically.
Features of the Honeywell RTH8500D 7-Day Touchscreen
The Honeywell RTH8500D 7-Day Touchscreen is an outstanding in-house climate control solution offering simplicity and flexibility of setting and scheduling in one unit. It provides easy programming of your week enabling you to set a unique temperature program for every day of the week correlating the settings with your lifestyle. Among the options which will be of the greatest value for you there are:
- Complete week programming – enjoy 7 days of comfortable climate at home or in the office with the smart solution from Honeywell. The unit offers you to set a separate program for every day of the week considering your business hours and days-off.
- Easy to read, well lit display provides easy access to data. Read, manage, control the settings on an extremely responsive touchscreen. Feel the ultimate control on the tip of your finger. The thermostat remembers every your input, analyzes the data and automatically sets the programs for the next week due to a smart response option.
- Vacation hold option will let you easily manage the climate in your office or house on your vacation setting the most preferable temperature right before you are back.
- Great compatibility – this thermostat is compatible with conventional heating, cooling systems and heating pumps.
Key disadvantages of Honeywell RTH8500D 7-Day Touchscreen to focus your attention on:
As many other climate control appliances for houses and offices the Honeywell RTH8500D 7-Day Touchscreen has its disadvantages. The key option we recommend to focus on is poor energy efficiency management. On setting your own programs the thermostat switches on and off heating and cooling system more frequently thus promoting increased power consumption. Some of the reviews of this thermostat users point out doubled bills on energy consumption. Another aspect to pay your attention to is poor touch screen which fails sometimes to response to your touches. Thus some options may turn temporarily unavailable.
If you consider a new thermostat purchase and installation and desire to get a stable programmable unit then this Honeywell RTH8500D 7-Day Touchscreen is your choice. In most cases it functions well offering you comfortable climate according preset programs. Its disadvantages should be considered. However to keep the justice it should be noted that every user preset program will change the option of energy saving as the thermostat will obey the preset temperature range and will switch other appliances according your needs and desires.
Programmable Thermostats — a review of simple, cheap and effective solutions
Programmable thermostats are the best discovery for you if you want to adjust the climate in your house to your hectic lifestyle and to enjoy a really comfortable temperatures when you are in the house or office and to sufficiently reduce power consumption when you are out. Programmable thermostats allow you to set a unique program meeting your needs and desires. The programmable thermostats differ in a range of supported options and built in technologies which determine the price of the gadget. There are as cheap, simple but unique solutions, so expensive hi-tech thermostats using wifi for remote control and sensor displays for ultimate usability among programmable thermostats. In this section we will review the best solutions for you!
Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day – simply maximize your comfort
If you are looking for a simple but effective solution for your house or office then Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day is a super option for you. The unit features simple design. It s case is made of durable white plastic. Its simple sty6le will fit into any interior and in most cases will be just unnoticeable on the wall. Unlike advanced thermostats this unit simply does its work – maximizing your comfort and sufficiently reducing your bills for energy consumption. A wide range of programs supported will bring ultimate comfort into your hectic lifestyle. The thermostat knows the business hours and weekends and provides a convenient 5-1-1 programming scheme.
The advanced features of the Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day
Modern users have already got used to advanced technological solutions stuffed with the options which may turn of no use in every particular case. You can be sure that choosing the Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day you will pay for a basic set of options which will be of vital importance for a climate in your house or office.
- The device features a large backlit display which is simple to read (the symbols indicating temperatures are rather large and thus you will not face any problem when programming the device).
- Extreme precision in temperature control and setting – this very model is known for its precise setting and keeping to the preset range of temperatures strictly.
- Smart response technology enables the device to analyze all your inputs and preset the programs for the next period of time being 5 business days or weekends. Moreover the device easily schedules vacations turning the heating systems, cooling and air-conditioning devices off when you are on vacations and switching them on when you are going back to provide you a really comfortable climate.
- Unlike many other thermostats of the same price the Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day is highly compatible with conventional cooling, heating systems and one stage heating pumps.
Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day – key disadvantages
Many thermostats provide very accurate data on the current temperature in the house. However, the manufacturer considers +/-4 degrees to be very accurate data. You should consider this drawback when setting the program on your new thermostat as it commonly indicates the temperature which may be 4 to 5 degrees lower than it actually is. We do strongly recommend to check the accuracy of the thermostat before first setting of the device. This drawback does not affect the performance of the thermostat, however it can make your disappointed as you will not get a comfortable temperature profile in the house unless you properly test the device right before a start. The fixings of the Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day are very tight and sometimes may require additional force which is very challenging to measure properly in order not to break the device apart.
Honeywell RTH6450D1009 5-1-1-Day is a super option for keeping comfortable climate in your house providing flexible settings and programming for a complete week with unique separate programs for every day of weekends (5-1-1). The drawbacks of the model can be simply neglected considering the price of the gadget as it performs its key options very well. Simple design and great screen are the pleasant bonuses for the price.
Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling – a simple solution for window air conditioners
Actually Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling is a device which will control not only window air conditioners. This outdated appliance is well compatible with electric space heaters. The mode of operation of the Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling is very simple. It should be just plugged in the socket and then the regulated appliance should be connected to the thermostat. Thus you will avoid the headache of installation of the thermostat and communicating it to the heating and cooling appliances of your house.
The Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling is highly compatible as it fits all conventional types of household receptacle outlets. Its electrical rating is 120V. The thermostat strictly controls the operation of the connected units. Despite its simplicity and outdated technology of operation the thermostat is programmable. You can set certain program for weekdays when you out of your house on business and for weekends when you desire to relish a comfortable climate at home. Let us review the key advantages of the device.
Features of the Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling
Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling is one of the simplest and the most efficient thermostats available on the market.
- The device is highly compatible and simple to install – just preset the thermostat and plug it into the outlet, then connect your air-conditioner or electric heater to the device.
- Speed dial user friendly small display allows even a beginner to get stunning results. Just set a desired schedule and program and plug the device to enjoy extreme energy efficiency.
- No embarrassing and cost consuming options – unlike advanced climate controlling gadgets on the market the Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling is very simple. It offers straight forward operation and does not require special knowledge from you to connect or install the unit.
- The Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling comes with pre-installed programs which are considered to be optimum to effectively reduce power consumption of your household. If needed, the device can be programmed according the needs and preferences of your lifestyle.
- The price of the unit is extremely low to hesitate to buy it right now.
Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling – disadvantages to consider
As an average appliance the Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling features its own disadvantages which, we suppose, you should consider, when planning to buy the unit.
- One unit regulates the operation of one air-conditioner or electric heater – you can not connect two or three appliances to one thermostat, so choosing this type of climate control appliance you should consider how many heating and air conditioning appliances you will need to regulate.
- Poor assembling – many users of this thermostat point out that the gadget just failed to work correctly within a rather short period of time.
Lux WIN100 Heating & Cooling is your best choice if you need to regulate the operation of an air conditioner only. If you will face a need to regulate several heating or conditioning appliances then you should better consider a more advanced gadget.
Non Programmable Thermostats
Non programmable thermostats are the simplest and the cheapest solutions to regulate the operation of heating and cooling appliances in your house and to reduce the period of useless running of systems. The thermostats provide a limited set of options and require manual control of the temperature. The devices operate in the same mode. On detecting a set by a user temperature the thermostat will switch off or on the systems. On choosing a non programmable thermostat you will avoid major problems which most of the users face with advanced units (remote control, set programs fails, unstable performance, etc.). Lets us focus on the most popular non programmable thermostat model.
Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat – the simplest and the best
Honeywell is a leader of thermostat industry offering as advanced state of the art solutions so the simplest thermostats as the Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat. This unit offers a user a limited set of options. Honestly speaking it offers only an option of setting a desired temperature of the in-house environment and that it all. The thermostat features a well backlit display offering you as current so a preset temperatures at the same time. The device features only 4 hard buttons. Slide buttons switch the device among heating or cooling mode (the same button turns the thermostat off when in the middle position)
Key options of the Honeywell TH3110D1008
Today it is very hard to choose among available thermostats on the market as a user should consider hundreds of options and estimate whether these options will be of use in every single case or not. Why is it important? Every additional feature sufficiently adds to the price pf a device. The Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat solves the problem for you offering only the most essential options!
- The thermostat presents only the basic features of controlling the temperature in your house.
- Precise setting of the temperature and indication of the actual temperature in the house environment and the reset one will allow you to estimate the efficiency of heating or cooling appliances.
- Stunning energy consumption reducing – most of the users notice sufficient reduction of overall energy consumption after integration of this device into heating and cooling system of the house.
- Great operation – according to hundreds of user reviews this thermostat model performs ultimately without any fails, so if you are looking for a stable device, the Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat is your choice.
Every electronic device may fail to operate properly, but not the Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat. After reviewing the user feedbacks we are able to point out only two key disadvantages of this thermostat. To keep the justice these drawbacks are not disadvantages at all as they appear only due to inattention of users!
- Incompatibility with heating or cooling appliances – if a unit is not aimed to work with some devices then it will not. Most of negative feedbacks say that the thermostat fails to operate with certain types of systems. We recommend to read the compatibility of the thermostat prior to purchasing the gadget.
- The installation may turn challenging – an integration of any electronic appliance is not a joke. You need to have certain skills and knowledge to install and connect the gadget properly. The gadget is not just about plugging it in the conventional outlet.
Honeywell TH3110D1008 Pro Non-Programmable Digital Thermostat is a perfect choice for those users who do not want to bother with extra setting and programming. The device offers simple basic features of a thermostat: it just controls the temperatures in the house and timely switches on and off the appliances to save the energy consumption. If you hope to get more options, then this non-programmable thermostat is not your choice.
Key benefits of modern Thermostat
Summarizing this review we would like to focus your attention on the essential features of the advanced thermostats which are aimed to provide you a real unique comfort meeting your lifestyle. Today the issue of saving energy is of ultimate importance. An average household is stuffed with electronic appliances which consume energy day and night. Most of them use energy even when in stand-by mode. As a result you get extra bills for energy which make a hole in your monthly budget. Heating and cooling appliances in your household contribute most to your expenses for energy consumption. Integrating a proper thermostat will be a good solution to reduce energy consumption and to cut the bills. We have summarized the most essential features which you may benefit from.
- Remote control - if you live a hectic lifestyle with frequent business trips with irregular working hours, then this option will be of great value for you as setting on the next unplanned business trip you will be able to reset your heating and cooling devices to the minimum performance and to get the system back to normal operation right before you coming back. If you live a normal steady life then this option may be of not use for you.
- Bright color screen is not a must have option for a thermostat as it does not affect the efficiency or performance of the gadget. Touchscreens are not vital options as well. Though being more convenient to use, the sensitive screens fail to operate properly more often, than standard LCD ones. Besides, hard buttons are as well more reliable than sensor ones.
- Programming is a great option for people whose life is steady. However the option of remote control of the thermostat is much more viable than presetting. If you can be sure that nothing will change in the following week then you can set a program. However, if something suddenly changes then you will all the same need the option of remote control of the thermostat. You should also keep in mind that any changes to preset programs will affect the efficiency of the thermostat and the energy consumption may increase when the gadget will follow one of the programs preset by a user due to more frequent switching of heating or cooling appliances.
We hope that this review will be of great help to you in choosing a thermostat which will sufficiently manage the systems of heating and cooling in your office or house.